16 January 2011

Many will come in My name....

"Jesus... said to them: 'Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many." Matthew 24:4-5


I recently found a book entitled: A course in Weight Loss" It is about looking at the psychological & spiritual side of weight loss. It's composed of 21 lessons. I have been reading and doing them - and as of today I was on lesson 3. Lesson 3 consists of building an alter - a place where you place all your prayers & concerns to the Lord. A place where "if you bow down to God first, then it will become more difficult for you to bow down to evil" Seems good right? I loved that it was Christian inspired & quoted scripture though it was self-proclaimed as spiritual and not Christian. 

The book mentions several times over that it is based from "A Course In Miracles". I bought that book when I was at Barnes & Noble. I wasn't even looking for it - it was actually there right in front. I thought it was serendipity. And you know how much I love serendipity.

I began to read like a maniac and as I continued.... it became, well, a little off. The writing perspective sounded like it was Jesus speaking "no one can come to the Father except through me"... "I have brought the Atonement for humanity".... ..

But then it will continue to say that like "I am the Son of God, you too are the Sons of God" ... "you need to find your Internal Being that is in all of you and follow it." 

Ok, I am not God. I do not want to be my own idol. What the heck... 

So I thought, hmm, maybe I'm reading into it to much. It's been awhile since I was in college - maybe it's a little advanced for me & I'm over-analytical. I continued. And it just got weirder. 

I prayed about it. Is this for real? This does not seem correct. Something inside of me was telling me this wasn't good for me. Like it was leading me astray. But I wanted to keep reading because it did make valid and very good points. And then a thought hit me at work today. The devil knows scripture too. He quoted it back to Christ as a means of temptation. 

So, I came home to google it. I know, you can't trust everything that's on the internet. 

BUT - come to find, the writer of the book, who calls herself the Master Teacher (say what??) composed this book by writing down her "symbolic dreams" and the dictating voice she kept hearing.

Ok, I understand that on all levels of debate - one can argue the point that the gospel writers did the same thing. Yes, they did. But what they wrote did not lead others down a path of self endangerment. You can either take or leave what they say. They composed a biography of Christ's life and wrote philosophical statements that you could easily put into a "christian" fortune cookie. If you replace "Christ says" with "Confucius says", modern culture would follow it in a heartbeat & immediately place that little piece of paper in their wallet to continue to meditate on & hope for. 

One thing that the author of this book says from her inner voice is that "sin does not exist. It is an illusion. There is no need to feel guilt because there is no sin. Sin does not exist. The problems that man faces are a result of separation from God. This separation is only illusion because it likewise does not exist. It is only a reality for those who believe they are not part of the divine." 

So, I think the whole point of this note is of thanksgiving. I am thankful for the Lord, and my inner voice I call the Holy Spirit. I am thankful that little red flags went up in the soul & I was safe-guarded from a obscured truth.

                "Many religions and philosophies have rays of truth in them -
                  but only the Church has the complete truth. "-  JP 2

I am thankful for the "little red flags". Really, the last couple of weeks have been like I was sucked into this trance that I could not stop dwelling on. I was living on what these books had to say. It was all I could think about. How scary..... 

Please thank the Lord for my red flags & pray for all those who are swept into half & false truths by people & spirits who cherry-pick the gospel for their own promotion of thought &/or purposes of leading others astray and use it so convincingly!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi - don't want to annoy you but I'm 2 feet in with A Course in Miraces (ACiM)- my background is in 12 Step groups and ACiM seems to compliment the 12 Step Program - plus teaching a radical yet very hopeful thoughtsystem on forgiveness.Here are some links (if you are interested).
    http://www.torrentreactor.net/torrents/1591525/A-Course-in-Miracles-audiobook - Here you can download an audio(talking book version) of "A Course in Miracles" (about 1.2GB). I've put it on an MP3 player - takes the hard work out of studying!
    > http://acim-search.miraclevision.com/std-second-edition-and-supps/index.html - an online A Course in Miracles.
    > http://www.miraclesinactionpress.com/dthomp74/2009/HTML%20Versions/2%20Urtext/Text/Ur%20Text%20load.htm - online copy of the original A Course in Miracles produced by
    > Dr.Helen Schucman(scribe) and Dr.William Thetford (her boss).
    > http://12stepmiracle.com/Today-s-Lesson.html - a site that gives the lesson of the day - part of a site devised for people who read A Course in Miracles (ACiM) and go to 12 Step groups.
    > http://iworkmiracles.com - a community site with regular discussions plus chatroom.
    > http://beinspiredtoday.ning.com/ - another community site set up by an ACiM student.
    > http://acimlounge.ning.com/ - another ACiM community site.
    > http://pathwaysoflight.org/lessons/index.html - for a commentary on the lesson of the day.
    > http://miraclesoneradio.org - an internet radio station - nice mix of gentle music with some ACiM music and meditations.
    > http://www.onemindfdn.org/acimgather.htm - a talk radio station that runs in conjunction with a Paltalk ACiM chatroom .
    > http://youtube.com/coursequickies - short videos of international students who read A Course in Miracles. (One student is named "Master Teacher" - this title was given him by his followers and doesn't appear in ACiM. Personally I believe that title should go to Jesus).
    > http://courseinmiraclesforum.com/acimbible.html - a site that compares quotes from the New Testament and A Course in Miracles.
    > http://courseinmiracles.com - helpful site where one can lookup or locate quotes in ACiM.
    Anyway - live and let live - all the best with your spiritual journey and enjoy 2011!
    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your suggested links Luke. I can see how the book can help those in programs like 12 Steps, but I believe there are healthier & 'fully complete' truthful ways to get to a healthier, happier state of living. But, can you agree that sin does not exist; as the book says? There are statements that the book makes that are true: You only bring darkness to yourself; Fear is your own manifestation... but the book takes excerpts from the Bible & twists them ever so slightly. We are not to alter Scripture. No way am I claiming that I am a Scripture scholar or theologian, but it seems odd that it will take the line from the Bible and rewrite it in the next sentence.

    I looked up your links, and for instance, the link about comparing the Bible to ACiM: "To be of one mind is meaningful, but to be one body is meaningless." (#38) It compares it to 1 Peter 3:8: "Finally, all of you, be of one mind, sympathetic, loving toward one another, compassionate, humble." But Romans 12:1-5 with verse 5 in particular is: "I urge you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God, your spiritual worship. Do not conform yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect. For by the grace given to me I tell everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than one ought to think, but to think soberly, each according to the measure of faith that God has apportioned. ***For as in one body we have many parts, and all the parts do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ and individually parts of one another.****" Romans 12:1-5 does NOT contradict 1 Peter, but I find it odd that ACiM cherry picks what it wants from the Bible to back up its statements, and leaves out the verses that oppose its viewpoint. ACiM goes on to say: "When you seem to see some twisted form of the original error rising to frighten you, say only, "God is not fear, but love", and it will disappear. The truth will save you." (from T.18.I.7.11). And yes, I agree. truth will save us. WHOLE TRUTH. If we take only the parts we like that agree with our own mindsets, what good is it? We would never grow nor be challenged to become healthier, wiser, and good-doers. If we want to use the Bible as our source for evidence, we have to take the Bible as a whole or it is not complete truth - and only having complete truth will save. If we had a decision to make & only knew half the background story - we wouldn't be making wise decisions. We need to know all the facts. Especially when these decisions are about our souls (which I gather is what ACiM is all about or it wouldn't be using Scripture).

    Thanks again for your suggested links.
    In love,
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! xoK