25 April 2010

{A Repost} Why Buy Handmade?



Happy Sunday! 


It seems that I just love Sunday "homework" don't I? Every sunday is my day to relax & take in DIY projects: learn how to dye coffee filters to turn them into roses, make a cupcake stand out of candle sticks & vintage plates..... 
I catch up on Elizabeth Kartchner's blog, 100 Layer Cake, Passion & Paisley - among MANY others. {You should see my "Morning Read" blog/website list... if you know of any good ones, pass a note my way}


This morning, while perusing through my "list" I found this recent article written by the owner of Passion & Paisley. It was SO good, I didn't even want to attempt to reword it. Here you go:
****************************************************************************************

Why Buy Handmade?

...poster by slidesideways on Etsy...
Before Earth Month ends, I'd like to share with you one of the funnest andeasiest things you can do to promote sustainability and "go green". Buy handmade!! I told you this would be fun and easy! I was unaware of all the benefits of buying handmade until I read an article about Etsy in Natural Health magazine last October. I went to Etsy's site and browsed through winter gloves for hours. (The poster above was my first Etsy purchase.) As my journey with Etsy has continued over the last six months, my eyes have been opened wide to all the benefits of buying handmade...
  1. Handmade Products Are Unique: In this age of cookie cutter houses and mass production, we could all use a little individuality. When you buy handmade goods you buy one-of-a-kind. Even for the few artists who are able to easily re-create their products, you can bet they are still pretty rare! I guarantee you'll hear less "I have the same one!"
  2. Handmade Products Make Better Gifts: Because of their uniqueness, handmade products make amazing gifts. Handmade gifts are more meaningful, and most likely have a great story attached to it. The love and care that was put into making the product is passed onto the recipient of your gift. 
  3. Buying Handmade Battles Big Business: When you buy handmade products, you're putting money into the hands of the artist and keeping it out of the pocket of "the man". (He doesn't need another Ferrari anyways!) Artists work hard for what they create, and the best way to support them is to buy from them directly. 
  4. Buying Handmade is Eco-friendly: Mass production may have a cheaper price tag now, but you and the environment pay a large price in the end. By purchasing handmade products you avoid pollution from factories and reduce waste. Handmade artists often up-cycle and are very conscious about the environment.
  5. Handmade Products are Good for Human Society: Most of the products we buy in stores are made overseas under inhumane working conditions. While none of us are intentionally trying to hurt another human, we are indirectly supporting child-labor and other horrible practices when we buy mass produced products. Aside from this huge factor in human rights, the handmade community also re-connects people. There's something to be said about knowing exactly who made the item you purchase. Handmade products promote creativity in our society! 
    Now that you're well informed and pumped up about buying handmade, it's time to take the handmade pledge. I did! Check out this video of others who have vowed to buy handmade.





      Remember to recycle, re-use and up-cycle whenever possible! This article was in no way intended to promote consumerism or encourage you to buy. However, when you must buy...consider the benefits of buying handmade. Why do you buy handmade?? Leave me a comment and let me know!

      xoxo
      -Nicole


      ****************************************************************

      Isn't it great? So, let's do what Nicole says, why DO YOU BUY HANDMADE? Leave a comment and let me know!

      xo,



      {side note} Nicole isn't the "Nicole" of Kristina-Nicole, though I love her so much she might as well be :)

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      Thank you for leaving a comment! xoK