15 May 2010

My Opa

Hello Blogland.

I wanted to leave a post about my "crazy" week that I've been having & my absence from the cyber world.

Not as many blog posts, almost no facebook blurbs and no emails.




My Opa past away on Saturday morning, May 8th. I've been mourning & handling family affairs.


Thank you for your understanding and loyalty. I am SO VERY APPRECIATIVE of all of you!!



This was a photo taken of the night of my engagement. Opa is congratulating us!



I don't have any on my computer of 'the good ol days'. But let me tell you a little about his life events & adventures:

  • Police Commissioner of the Dutch East Indies (when Holland owned Indonesia)
  • Killed boars and tigers (he was a hunter - it was one of his favorite things to do)
  • Played Semi-Pro Soccer for the Dutch team, on the Islands
  • Was your personal "Indiana Jones" - He loved his Jeep and jumping around the jungle in his khaki shorts and rifle
  • He ALWAYS wore a smile and ALWAYS had a story to tell
  • Survived three years in a POW Japanese concentration camp, as a political prisoner
  • Migrated by boat to the States in the 50s
  • Never said No to something sweet 
  • Maintained the family Coat of Arms
  • Loved animals and actually taught my previous dog commands in Dutch

Opa - I Love you!!

xo,




3 comments:

  1. I feel so sorry for your loss, you and you're family are in my thaughts. I know how you are feeling I lost my oma just a few years ago and i am still struggling with it. You can be really proud of him. Loved to read the things you wrote about him, and I can tell you that you can be really proud of him so am i without knowing him. I know how tough it was in those years keep remebering al the good times and never forget him.

    Lots of love from the netherlands,

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your loss.

    I sent you a message thru paperpantry, not sure you pickd it up yet. just wanted to thank you again for such a sweet package and i hope yu recv'd mine. i hope to hear from you or check in @ paper pantry. if theres anything we can do, let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, i just checked my paperpantry. i dont have any messages. did you post it somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! xoK